11.9.09

Look, long story short, I've now watched several entire episode of The O.C. And I need to just say that The O.C. is craptacular. And that was unexpected.
Because back in high school I remember this show being big. Let me just refresh your memory.

Everyone at school was watching it. Check

It was a conversation topic in our English class one day. Yes, an English teacher knew what it was. Check

Supre brought out those slogan shirts with fashion forward sayings such as "I ♥ SETH" and "I ♥ The O.C." Check

Everyone was suddenly into indie music (This finally makes sense to me now), a friend got an O.C. DVD box set for her 16th, Mischa Barton was in magazines... Check Check Check

So by all accounts, this should have been a good show. I trusted the judgement of my high school peers. I was (willingly) working school nights at the time. I had no time for TV. But now, AHAh, blissfully unemployed.
So imagine my joy when the chance to watch the O.C. arose. Finally I was going to catch up on all the popular culture that was relevant to my generation 3 years ago! I was going to claim my birthright. I was finally going to understand the story arcs and character traits that underpinned my blah blah blah an integral part of my teenage education blah blah right of passage blah.
I watched maybe, 6 episodes? 7 at most. I wasn't counting. I wasn't in charge of what I was viewing.
And the O.C. sucks. I've read bumper stickers that were more entertaining. I'd had conversations with old people that were more quippy. The O.C. is so lame it's not even funny.

To get the full insight, check this conversation between Donna and Brenda.



Brenda: I can't believe I spent 3 hours of my life watching episodes of the OC! What was I thinking!?

Donna: Ew! The OC? I feel so sorry for you! I feel unclean just thinking about that series. At least the original Beverley Hills now has some retro appeal.

Brenda: You're telling me!! I feel so fucking affronted that someone out there didn't destroy every last clip of the OC after it went off the air. It's like, "Oh, Hitler's dead. So shall we keep the concentration camps functional?"



Brenda: I mean... UGH!




Donna: It's like Hello!? If you're going to have a lacklustre script and sterile sets, at least make the characters visually appealing. Who's idea was it to put "stylish, rich Californian kids" in clothes from Target? UGH!



Brenda: If you didn't like the black mumu singlet I'm wearing you just had to say so.

No comments:

Post a Comment